Thursday, April 14, 2011

On my (Now) Love/(Previously)Hate Relationship with FourSquare

Although I generally consider myself to be pretty quick to pick up the next great technology, especially when it comes to social media, I was initially extremely hesitant to sign up for things like FourSquare. I think it fell into my thoughts about blogging - I considered it to be extremely narcissistic from a person like me, who really isn't that grand or important in the scheme of things. Aside from my fears that it was paradise for stalking, there was also the knowledge that I never really *go* anywhere, and who really cares about the places I don't go?

I had a bit of a change of heart at PAX because everyone was checking in from there, and it became part of the social experience to check in as well. There was also, of course, the ability to rub it in all my friends face through Facebook that I was at PAX, and they were not. I then realized that there were a lot of nice uses for FourSquare - seeing what restaurants are nearby, remembering the name of the place we ate the night before that I'd forgotten already, etc.

And I further realized that perhaps the problem wasn't that I didn't need FourSquare because I never went anywhere, the problem was actually that I should go someplace sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment